"For we, which now behold these present days, have eyes to wonder, but lack tongues to praise"
-William Shakespeare

Friday, November 30, 2012

Look

Forever is not a measure of time, but of distance. 
Let us start by looking up. 
Think of stars, think of one, for example; 
It is not about how long, but really how far. 
It is not about the sweet tease with words. 
It is not about the daily horoscope. 
It is about you being missed, 
Just because.

Looking down, I have yet to see my feet, 
In front of yours, but instead 
Have witnessed paths, stairs, and bridges 
Crossed, passed that are never towards yours. 
I have yet to see your toes…tickled. 
I wonder if someone ever tied your shoe for you. 
The fact that you had almost trip over, 
Over the stones in the street 
Makes you reachable, 
Makes you human, 
Makes me giggle.

Looking at you, I cannot call you ‘mine’. 
I cannot possibly call my self ‘yours’ like you can, 
Like you haven’t yet. 
I have yet to call myself ‘free’, 
For I cannot live without the heart. 
And women weaken the heart, 
As love makes you stronger.

Looking at you, this mere city seemed islanded. 
My pen: an echo. But look at me. 
Look at me by looking…at your left hand, 
Being held by the other. 
See me, praying for you. 
Look…beyond missing 
For that is where I am.

© 2012 J.S.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment