"For we, which now behold these present days, have eyes to wonder, but lack tongues to praise"
-William Shakespeare

Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Beautiful

‘Beautiful’ is such an understatement, 
Overused; 
That if the very word 
Could ever fit you, 
Then every body else 
Are deemed ugly. 
Now, it turned out 
That all the languages 
Fell short of one word. 
You’ve heard enough.

But I say ‘beautiful’, 
For holding such compliment 
Would render me speechless, 
Would render my wowed-eyes into coercion 
Of possibly saying 
Your God-given name. 
But indeed they cannot, 
They can only dream of you, 
Wide awake, 
Staring.

And the night stars had been wonderful 
For too long, looking at you 
And mirroring themselves. 
I would have named you ‘Poetry’ 
To let you know that I admire you, 
But would rather shake your lover’s hand, 
Congratulating him. 
I bet the world 
Sometimes stop at best 
When you wink, 
And I haven’t seen you wink. 
Don’t smile the smile the flowers 
Had readied all along. 
You smell of them, 
As I look at you. 

Now I’d like to say beautiful 
Again, 
But it had to stop. 
I had to stop looking 
Shyly from afar. 
But hey, Janelle is such a nice name, 
Don’t you think? 
Just… 
Just beautiful…

Indeed, 
God is good.

© 2012 J.S.P. 

No comments:

Post a Comment