"For we, which now behold these present days, have eyes to wonder, but lack tongues to praise"
-William Shakespeare

Thursday, September 20, 2012

One Smile


It is when I remember your smile 
That I remember to smile. 
Not smiling outwardly, 
But having that hope 
Of days brighter, 
Now that you have come my way. 

I have come a long way from sad 
To not-sad, only to be drifted here, 
Seeing you, 
Once, 
And then not having to see you again, 
But still end up happy, 
And definitely 
Wanting to be happier. 

It is when your lips part and un-part; 
It is when your eyes blink and un-blink, 
That a man focuses 
And be out-of-focus at the same time. 
I have forgotten to pay my fare. 
I have forgotten to get your number. 

It is when a man writes this thing down 
Right away, impulsive. 
It is when a poem is not as beautiful 
As to whom it is pertained to. 
It is when a man writes something down 
On a receipt. 

I better keep a frown ready, 
When I am down, 
That I may be reminded 
Of that gift you have. 
And then I’d smile. 

This is when a man makes you matter. 
This is when a smile is both inside and out. 
This is when you smile me out of lonely. 
This is when you smile me in 
To the very Word of God. 

And now 
This one smile 
Has two smiles 
To smile about. 

Now I go, 
Straightforward, 
Saying: 
You had… 
…the sweetest smile.

© 2012 J.S.P. 

No comments:

Post a Comment