"For we, which now behold these present days, have eyes to wonder, but lack tongues to praise"
-William Shakespeare

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Asleep


And in sleep, even, 
You deprive me, 
Depriving me of closure, 
Both heart and eyes. 

I can never tire the eyelids, 
Trick them into steadying. 
You puzzle me. 
The stars are way easier 
To connect to. 
We’ve only grown farther, 
And you’re further 
Beautiful. 

I’d sneak an ‘I love you’ note 
From time to time, 
Lesser may it seem in value to you. 
But please 
Bear in mind, 
That there never was a moment 
That I’ve said it half-meant. 
Otherwise, I wouldn’t be counting 
Stupid sheep right now; 
I wouldn’t be counting reasons 
Why I love you. 

I can only steal a moment from you, 
And own it, make it half-mine. 
A yawn, perhaps, 
Can be made sweeter, 
If validated 
With reasons. 
You deprive me of darkness; 
You have the lightest kiss. 
I can only steal a touch still. 
Your gazes are half-mine. 

I lost a half of me 
Just as I’ve lost a half of you. 
I can only hope 
To find them in the end, 
Both in you, 
Sleeping. 
I can only hope 
To kiss your forehead, 
When I cannot possibly 
Kiss your lips. 
I longed to kiss your neck, lightly. 
And I won’t sleep, 
If sleep won’t be enough. 

I can only be contented of sleep, 
If I were to search for it, 
Tomorrow, 
Every morning after, 
After having it lost 
To some heart uncertain, 
Which I always love, 
Anyway.

© 2012 J.S.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment